Rating: Two thumbs up
Time in: 2:18 PM
Time out: 3:11 PM
Servers’ recommendations: This was the first restaurant where the server wouldn’t give us a recommendation, despite our repeated request for one. “Everything!”
What we ordered: Me Hank, chicken wings, prawn and tofu wraps, taro cake, sweet rice and coconut ice cream. I (Miko) had to ask for any savory dish to be prepared mild.
Number in our party: 2
Final check amount: $24.30
Price per person: $12.15
- This was our second Thai place in a row. We were not excited — we were imagining the same lunch special that they have at every other Thai place in San Diego. But! Chilies Thai Gourmet is in direct contrast with Koon Thai Kitchen, which is larger, fancier, and more commercial. It’s teeny and simply decorated.
- The whole place is run by two people (a husband and wife, we think). That explains why they have rather inconvenient hours. (Every time we tried to come here before, it was closed.)
- The music was soft and pleasant.
- The prawn and tofu wraps were quite tasty. Recommended!
- The chicken wings were curry flavor and had shredded coconut on top. I (Miko) would have liked the meat to be a bit softer, but it was still yummy!
- The Me Hank noodles needed a little more sweetness to the sauce.
- The coconut ice cream was SO delicious. It had a slight hint of salt, which made it totally addicting. Holy cow. The taro cake was also good, but it didn’t even compare. We want to try the fried bananas with ice cream next.
- The chef is a truly ADORABLE man. We asked him about the ice cream, and he launched into an earnest explanation of the recipe. He clearly takes pride in his work, but is very humble. The restaurant is supposed to close at 3, but he let guests in right when we were leaving and offered them a choice of either the lunch or dinner menu. He won our hearts.
- Our meal was so enjoyable that we giggled in the car on the way home.
Address: 3904 Convoy St, Ste 105
Phone number: 858.565.8861
Accepts credit cards? Yes
Parking: Crowded lot, especially when The Original Pancake House is still open
Ideal group size: 1-8
Available vegetarian options: Lots of tofu options
Noise level: 1.5
3 thoughts on “Chilies Thai Gourmet – CLOSED”
I love this blog. I eat in Convoy all day long and this is just, well, great.
Chilies is an interesting place – When you walk in the door you will will be greeted by a Chinese Buddha not Thai then if you listen you will notice that the music is Chinese not Thai furthermore, when you look at the decor it is Chinese and not Thai – Then finally when you get the food it tastes like Chinese food not Thai (even thought it looks like Thai food) – I would bet the owners are Chinese and not Thai.
If you want Chinese style Thai food this is the place to go.
I loved this place but unfortunately it closed