Rating: Two sideways thumbs
Time in: Jenne arrived at 6:30 PM; Nick and I got there very late at 6:55 PM (Sorry, Jenne)
Servers’ recommendations: #100 (Hủ Tiếu hoặc Mì Áp Chảo Gà (hoặc Bò): pan fried chicken with assorted vegetables with egg noodles)
What we ordered: #100, #56 (broken rice with pork and shrimp), Bò Lá Nho (beef stuffed in grape leaves)
Number in our party: 3 (Nick as a guest judge)
Final check amount: $45.85
Price per person: $15.28
NOTES (General comments in black; Miko’s comments in blue; Jenne’s comments in red):
- Sad. Convoy Noodle House used to be our go-to for our weekly pho trips. It was once a favorite. Somewhere along the way, we started going to Saigon or Ca Dao instead, but we still thought Convoy Noodle House was good stuff. At this visit, however, none of the dishes tasted very good. Had we gotten snobbier or had the food gotten worse? We think it might be a little of both.
- The chicken in the broken rice dish tasted like the grilled chicken sandwich at Burger King (which used to be called the BK Broiler, but now it goes by another name). It was good, but that was a bit weird.
- I have to say that I’m not a fan of the beef dish — it’s too sweet, and the meat’s not fluffy enough. My old roommate used to order it a lot because she was on a low-carb diet, and she really liked it.
- The egg rolls were not great. We didn’t even finish the order between the three of us.
They packed up our leftovers for us. We love it when restaurants do that.
- I didn’t try it on this visit, but I think the three-bean dessert here is my favorite in San Diego, and for that, I still give it a sideways thumb.
- I do like the beef dish, but I think it wasn’t as good as it used to be.
- We didn’t have them this time, but their smoothie drinks are usually really good. Except the avocado one. Gross. I tried it once to be adventurous, but just. No.
- I do also like the bean dessert with the weird neon colored jelly things. Yum!
Address: 4647 Convoy St
Phone number: 858.277.0133
Accepts credit cards? Yes
Parking: Shared lot, still crowded
Ideal group size: Any
Noise level: 1