Rating: Two thumbs up
Time in: 7:49 PM
Servers’ recommendations: Twice-cooked fish
What we ordered: Twice-cooked fish, special cold noodles, mapo tofu.
Number in our party: 2
Final check amount: $29.61
- The food was so spicy. Okay, I (Miko) admit that I’m a ginormous wimp. But Holy Jesus. I couldn’t be a fair judge, since all I could taste was burning. Therefore, we decided that a second visit must be scheduled, and I would order items that were not marked with chili symbols.
- The portions are GIANT.
The crowd was younger than we expected; they all look like college students. There were very few non-Asians.
- Convivial atmosphere and awesome decorations. The ceiling is amazeballs.
The service is a little slow. It’s a big dining area, and they only had 2 servers working. They really could have used 4.
- When we ordered the cold noodles, the server pointed to the lo mein and asked, “Don’t you want this? It’s more Chinese style.”
We liked how they packaged our food up for us.
Rating: Two thumbs up
Time in: 7:32 PM
Time out: 8:55 PM
What we ordered: Cold appetizers: pickles, potato salad, and cured meat; salt and pepper pork chop; beef wrap; steamed bun; boiled fish; fried lamb with cumin; house special fried rice; snow cabbage, bean curd, and green beans; crispy duck with rice; fried crab with rice cake; beer; Cokes.
Number in our party: 7 (Howie, Keith, Sarah, Elise, and Tracie as guest critics today)
Final check amount: $127.70
- The food came out very quickly, which was fortunate, because we were all starved. A hush fell over the table as we ate; we were too busy eating to talk.\
- The cold appetizers were delicious! The potato salad was particularly good.
- The boiled fish was not as spicy as it looked. Sarah and Miko’s favorite.
- The lamb with cumin was Keith’s favorite.
- The crab was well-seasoned and lent delicious flavor to the rice cakes. Yum.
- The duck was a minefield of bones — watch out!
- The pork chop also had a lot of bone and tasted a little like pancake syrup. It would’ve been better if it had been more savory instead of just sweet.
- The fried rice is kind of meh. They were supposed to bring out the house special fried rice, but they brought out vegetable fried rice instead. It was tasteless.
Address: 3860 Convoy Street, Ste 105
Phone number: 858.278.5883
Accepts credit cards? Yes
Parking: Crowded lot with teeny spaces.
Ideal group size: Any
Available vegetarian options: TONS (but they may have fish sauce in them).
Noise level: 3.5