Rating: One thumb down (Miko), one sideways (Jenne)
Time in: 8 PM
Time out: 8:54 PM
Servers’ recommendations: Tuna, yellowtail, salmon, live sea urchin
What we ordered: Yellowtail and tuna nigiri, French kiss roll, Katzra roll, miso soup
Number in our party: 4
Final check amount: $45.23
Price per person: $11.31
- We wondered if they gave us special treatment because they saw that I was taking notes.
The chef came to the table to give us his recommendations and was very friendly and non-intimidating.
- The nigiri had no wasabi on it. We did not like that.
- The tuna and yellowtail was a bit fishy and a little mushy.
- The salmon was surprisingly good. Creamy and delicious.
- The French kiss roll was a bit of a mess. It’s a common mistake with Western sushi rolls, trying to stuff anything and everything in there. And then they’re too big to bite into and they fall apart, so you can’t get all the different flavors together anyway.
- They gave us lot of free stuff! The underling chef made us a roll at the end, and it was creative and tasty. It was made of soy paper, salmon, crab, and sesame vinegar. They gave us fancy sliced oranges too.
- UPDATE: I (Miko) recently went to Katzra, and they had recently remodeled and reopened. And it was so terrible! Everything tasted a little off, and the crunchies were stale. Therefore, I have changed my rating (with Jenne’s permission), even though I did not go on an official Convoy Conquest visit.
Address: 4225 Convoy St
Phone number: 858.279.3430
Accepts credit cards? Yes
Parking: Crowded lot with itty-bitty spaces
Ideal group size: 1-4
Noise level: 2.5
Who not to bring: A big group of people, vegetarians
One thought on “Katzra Sushi Bar”