Time in: 5:50 PM
Servers’ recommendations: Salmon skin roll, red dragon roll
What we ordered: Salmon skin roll, red dragon roll, spicy dynamite roll, crunchy roll, California roll, seaweed salad, bowl of rice
Number in our party: 4 (with Anna and Harris)
Final check amount: I forgot to write it down, but it was about $10 each.
- The punctuation on the sign sure is puzzling. On their website, they leave out the comma.
- The server was very nice and enthusiastic, and he tried so hard. We didn’t like the food and he could tell, which made us feel bad. He graciously got Harris a bowl of plain rice, even though it wasn’t on the menu.
- The rice in the rolls must be pressed into some sort of mold — they’re too square on the edges to have been rolled the traditional way.
- The red dragon roll tasted pretty good. It was the first to come out, and we were fairly pleased with it. Unfortunately, the meal went downhill from there.
- The salmon skin was a bit chewy. I didn’t find it disgusting like Jenne did, but it didn’t taste good either.
- The crunchy bits on the crunchy roll…weren’t. They were stale. Plus, the mayo sauce drizzled on top was spicy! We all know how I (Miko) feel about spicy.
- The rolls that were marked “spicy” were actually quite spicy. (And some that were NOT marked spicy were too — see above.) That’s unusual for a sushi restaurant.
- The ginger tasted like cleaner.
- Harris enjoyed her bowl of rice, but Jenne and I (being the rice snobs our Conquest has made us) noted that it looked rather dry.
- This was the second two-thumbs-down restaurant in a row! Ouch, that’s never happened before. And we felt bad that we invited Anna along for the first Convoy experience of her life, and THIS was what she got. Boo.
Address: 4225 Convoy St
Phone number: 858.560.5345
Accepts credit cards? Yes, but there’s a $10 minimum.
Parking: Crowded lot with itty-bitty spaces
Ideal group size: 1-4
Available vegetarian options: Vegetable roll, tamago, edamame and other appetizers, ice cream
Noise level: 2