Rating: Two thumbs up
Time in: 8:35 PM
Time out: 9:47 PM
Servers’ recommendations: Sweet potato pork cutlet, fried chicken bowl, cream toppoki
What we ordered: Sweet potato pork cutlet, seafood pancake with no bell peppers
Number in our party: 2
Final check amount: $35.20
Price per person: $11.73
- The water is lightly flavored and tasty.
- Surprising X-factor! We imagined a stiff, trendy place, but due to the server’s kindness and homey cushions, we felt like the restaurant wanted us to be comfortable.
- The lighting is also lovely, not too dark.
- The music is too loud and the drinks have a strongly artificial flavor (the mojito tastes like powdered limeade) — our only complaints.
- They really know how to fry their food. Everything is a crispy, delicious golden-brown. That’s rare on Convoy!
- We loved the katsu with garlicky sweet potato.
- Delicious seafood pancake.
Address: 4681 Convoy St, Ste A
Phone number: 858.279.8500
Accepts credit cards? Yes
Parking: Shared lot that’s pretty tiny, but there’s decent turnover, so you can usually squeak into a spot that someone’s pulling out of.
Ideal group size: 1-8
Available vegetarian options: Salads, fruit punch salad, fried tofu salad, sweet potato noodles with vegetables (we’re not sure if these dishes actually are vegetarian, but they sound like it).
Noise level: 3.5 because of the music; otherwise, it would be a 1.